Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Buying Storage Units at Auction and getting RICH!

So, we decided that garage saleing was buying one item at a time was too tedious so we now just buy junk by the garage-full! We visited several auctions and purchased our first unit, cleaned it out and made about twice what we paid for the unit. Yay!

We can do this, we said. So we bought a couple more and even sold a tanning bed that boosted our confidence level but didn't really find anything we wanted to add to our collection. Craigslist made for fast selling and fast profit. Then we went to an auction on a nice toasty day and I found a unit that spoke to me. I gave my husband the NOD and yet, he did not bid. So I just bid. And bid it up to $375. I WON! So we went to a couple more units and lost interest and decided to go back to the unit and check it out. My Mom's husband reached in a box and pulled out a white piece and commented it was the heaviest Styrofoam he had ever seen and started to toss it aside. My husband gasped and said, that's a space shuttle tile.

Yep, the unit is full of NASA. Not a whole shuttle contrary to my 7 year old sons belief. But we unloaded box after box of models of airplanes, vintage NASA photos, 40 boxes of manuals and various papers regarding NASA history. We have opened an Ebay store and been selling NASA one piece at a time for three months now. Every time and auction ends we sa to ourselves. That's the wow factor! Some of the more memorable items we have sold thus far is the Apollo 11 flight plan, and an Earthrise photo. We have quite a following now and I'll be sad when it's all gone honestly even if I'll have my living room back.

$25,000 later... I'm pretty sure the next time I tell hubby to buy a unit, he's going to buy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment